Sunday, January 17, 2010

ponytail for kids


Yesterday I finally had my hair cut and I am now in a position to help a child who has lost their hair due to illness. The cut was a long time coming. The last time I had my hair cut it must have been well over a year ago. I am a busy mom with a lot to get done everyday. Spending time styling hair or regularly going to the salon is just not me. I usually simply wash my hair, brush it, and then put it in a ponytail. No muss, no fuss. It needs little during the day, doesn't get hot or in the way. I usually only make a trip to the salon when it starts violating one of the basic fundamentals of my routine.

It was late this last summer when I noticed that my ponytail was so long it was on the back of my neck and starting to annoy. At that moment I thought I should do something helpful with it...like donate it for children who need wigs due to illness. So rather than go to the salon at that point I decided to just put it in a looping ponytail to shorten it an let it grow awhile longer. I continued on with daily family life. Then this week I noticed that I was spending a lot of time each morning brushing the knots out of all that hair. It was time...enough was enough. I made the appointment. I made one for my son too although he didn't yet NEED one....I'm busy and this was very efficient.

Anyway, yesterday morning around 9:30 am I put my hair up in a ponytail one last time (more on that later) and showed my friend and hair stylist where to cut. The result...a 13 inch long ponytail that is off to locks of love and a new short and sassy haircut for me. Later that night I started feeling my hair weighing me down so I scooped up what I have left and got most of it into a ponytail. My family was snickering because it was really more like the stub of a ponytail but nonetheless I was comfortable so no worries.

The best part and reason for this blog entry is that now my ponytail is off to help make a wig for a child who has lost her own hair to illness. If you have long hair and are considering a shorter do please check them out. It is a great cause.

1 comment: